25/10/2018

Katajanokka hotel in Helsinki

Have you ever stayed overnight in a prison? I have!
Well, in the former one... :) Check out my review on this hotel, built out of a former prison in Helsinki. Pictures included.

It has been a while since I have gotten this extraordinary gift from my friend Eliška. 
It was my 35th birthday and I got to spend a night in a prison - well, in a former prison, now called hotel Katajanokka.

entrance to the hotel

Let's peek into a history, shall we? According to their webpage, the oldest part of Hotel Katajanokka dates back to 1837 and the main part to 1888. The building originally served as a county prison and pre-trial detention centre. It was closed in 2002, and re-opened as a newly renovated hotel (owned by a private owner) in 2007. 

original staircases give you the feel

The open central corridor of the hotel, red brick outer walls and the high perimeter wall around the park are protected by the National Board of Antiquities and remain as a reminder of the building’s history.

Just entering the building feels extraordinary. 

Because the exterior of the building has been preserved, you immediately get the feel of a prison. 

Inside you will find skillfuly combined modern design with the remains of the old buildings. This combination gave me, quite frankly, creeps... If you too believe in the karma and that energy can attach to the objects and to the places, you will be able to imagine what I felt, while walking around.

Eating in style
The architect and designer of the place was a real genius...the combination of the old and new is just right... and there are those small details, which somehow make you stop for a second and just stare and feel the place over and over again... 

Original staircases, old windows and original doors only slightly renovated, prison bars here and there, old tables and silverware and kitchenware reminding you of a prison kitchen... look at the pictures and see for yourself.

The staff on the other hand is very friendly, sweet and helpful. 
It has been my birthday and even though we checked in really late (around midnight), girl from the reception knocked on our door and brought me a special birthday gift from the hotel. 
It was very touching and I, caught up in the moment, did something in Finland unthinkable - I hugged her! :)

People get married here?!! Seriously...?
Even though the hotel has been renovated, one dungeon from the 19th century and one of the former cells have been preserved and serve as some sort of museum. 

And you know what? The most bizzare thing I have seen there, was a picture of a newly wed couple, posing inside the cell... I may be a bit too cynical, but the first thought that popped up in my head was: "Come on, guys, if you really wanted to be original, you should have gotten married in the original prison uniforms!" Heh... :)

Sweet escape :)
Overall, I would say, spending one night in this hotel, is something one should do. But I am not sure if I would recommend anyone to prolong their stay. 

Even though this hotel seems to be popular, I cannot help but wonder, if there are any customers returning to repeat their experience...

For more information check out Hotel Katajanokka webpage

And let me know in the comments, if you have ever stayed there and how did it feel to you?

creepy decoration, but very comfy beds! :)

original cells... eek... it did not feel nice to enter...

more of the interieur


No comments: